Oral health is very important for systemic health. Dental problems can lead to medical problems. Evidence is available from numerous research reports proving association of advanced gum disease called periodontitis with life threatening systemic diseases.
• HEART DISEASE AND STROKE- Gum disease increases the risk of heart attack and developing stroke in patients suffering from heart disease.
• DIABETES- Diabetes has a two way relationship to gum disease. Gum disease can cause increase in blood sugar levels and at the same time increased blood sugar levels have been associated with more risk of developing severe gum disease.
• ADVERSE PREGNANCY OUTCOME- Gum disease during pregnancy increases the risk of preterm delivery and low birth weight of infant.
• RESPIRATORY DISEASE-Research has found that bacteria present in oral cavity of people suffering from gum disease can be aspirated into the lungs to cause respiratory diseases such as pneumonia.
• CANCER- Researchers found that men with gum disease were 49% more likely to develop kidney cancer,54% more likely to develop pancreatic cancer, and 30% more likely to develop blood cancers.
To know further visit www.perio.org/consumer/other-diseases
Moreover periodontitis (advanced gum disease) remains a silent disease until destruction results in acute symptoms, so only dental health check up is important to rule out the disease.